What if a client doesn't understand what they're getting themselves into?
- The sales meeting is not over until you're reasonably confident that you can help improve the client's condition.
- Don't quote work that you believe will most likely hurt the client (even if they insist that they know what their doing).
- If you are skeptical of the client's vision, tell the client so and ask them to help you "connect the dots" to understand their business case.
- You need to understand the client's desired business outcomes in order to write a value based proposal (a feature list is not sufficient).
- Separating fools from their money is bad way to build a long-term business.
- When offering options, the lowest price option should be the thing that you agreed to in the sales meeting.
- Higher tier options may or may not have been discussed in the sales meeting.
- The lowest price option should be the most risky to the client and the highest tier should be the least risky to the client.
Leave me a voicemail at (401) 952-8899 and I'll include your recording in an upcoming show.
Guest David C. Baker joins me to talk about expertise, positioning, the pros and cons of vertical vs horizontal focus, addressing client concerns about conflicts of interest, the risk of hitching your cart to a third party, and tons more.
Guest Nick Disabato (aka nickd) talks about measuring the economic value of design.
Does the idea of doubling your prices make you physically ill?
Jane Portman joins me to talk about her new book, Your Productized Consulting Guide.
Blair Enns delivers an impromptu master class on the strategies and tactics of value pricing creative work.
Corey Quinn explains how he monetized his technical expertise by selling sponsorships for his weekly mailing list.
Former software consultant Brian Dunning talks about transitioning from hourly billing for dev work to donation supported content production.
Shopify guru and former Wordpress developer Kurt Elster explains how he monetized his technical expertise by selling sponsorships for his podcast.
How to recognize and handle the anxieties of running your own business with guest Dr. Sherry Walling
Money is worthless if you can't exchange it for something you want.